Smart Axiata was announced as the winner for Best Telecommunications Company and Best Corporate Social Responsibility Cambodia 2015 categories by the Global Banking & Finance Review.
The Global Banking and Finance Review is the leading portal and print magazine for financial news updates, analysis, opinions, reviews, interviews, and videos from the industry of Asset and Wealth Management, Banking, Business, Foreign Exchange, Investing, Islamic Finance, Tax and Legal, Trading, and Technology.
“This award tells us that as a business entrepreneur, value lies in the positive change to a community or transformation of the community that lacks the resources to fulfill its own needs. While Smart’s core mission is connecting people, which by its own generates tremendous benefits for the society and economy of Cambodia, Smart wants to contribute by filling in gaps and bringing sustainable growth to our society. Consequently, we have defined Education, Sport and Green Environment as the fields of our engagement,” said Thomas Hundt, the Chief Executive Officer for Smart Axiata.
Smart envisions itself as a vital part of the society, with a mission that is far beyond just business:
- Smart collaborated with the Ministry of Education and UNESCO to fight illiteracy, thereby helping about 92,000 people in Cambodia in learning how to read and write in 2015.
- Smart has partnered with Sipar for their ‘Mobile Library’ project, which includes librarians and vans that carry along books all over Cambodia. This is in the hope that they will be able to provide materials that will encourage and help the children to read more.
- Smart has continually helped Happy Football Cambodia Australia (HFCA) for the past 6 years in sending delegation to the annual Homeless World Football Cup. They gave a better life to 100,000 homeless people in Cambodia.
- Smart has sponsored a lot of marathon events across the country to promote a healthy lifestyle. This provided everyone an opportunity to run and to discover the true athletes of Cambodia.
- Lastly, they partnered with JCI for their annual tree planting and cleanup activities.
Smart Axiata aims to offer only the best services in the world of telecommunications while making huge impacts to the community beyond their business.
“Holdng the Best CSR Company Cambodia 2015 award is truly a privilege, but it is also a big responsibility. It tells us we have done well in 2015. At the same time it motivates us to keep on going,” says Hundt.
The company only launched their first Sustainability Report in 2015, which detailed their operations and corporate sustainability activities for the year 2014.
Smart Axiata Co., Ltd. is a mobile telecommunications company in Cambodia. It currently provides services to 8.5 million subscribers. It is part of the Axiata Group Berhad, among the largest telecommunications group in Asia that has more than 260 million customers.
Being the most affordable carrier with a wide variety of services offered, Smart is the telecom provider of choice for millions of prepaid users. It is the most preferred carrier for most of the multinational companies, embassies, and other companies as well.